Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (15 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 cups canola oil (500 ml)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (5 ml)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Water if necessary
- 1 1/2 pounds of crab meat, de-shelled (675 g)
- 16 soda crackers, finely crumbled
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise (5 ml)
- 1 tablespoon chive, finely chopped (15 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard (5 ml)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using a blender or food processor, beat the egg with the Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar. Slowly pouring, add canola oil until the mixture will start to emulsify and become very creamy in texture. Add water if necessary to have a thinner texture. Add the Sriracha. Continue to process for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Put aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients, except olive oil and mix well. Form palm sized cakes and place them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. In a skillet, heat the olive oil at medium high heat and in batches, fry both sides of the cakes, about 2 minutes placing them back on the baking tray. Place baking tray in oven for 10 minutes. When ready to serve, garnish with a dollop of mayonnaise.
- You can make a plain mayo (without the sriracha) and keep it for other use. Season with sriracha to taste afterwards.
- The mayonnaise will keep in the refrigerator for about a week if using fresh eggs.